Sabudana as in Sago..Khchidi is a very famous dish in North Karnataka. Specially when it comes to fasting, many in my family prefer taking khichidi for breaking their fast.
The recipe that I am sharing here is from my grandmother (Aayi). Sabudana khchidi goes very well with spicy peanut chutney. I cannot eat khichidi alone without this combo.
Sago - 1/2 cup
Green chillies - 3-4
potato - 1 cup
Roasted peanut powder - 2 Tbsp
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
coriander - for garnishing
Salt - taste
oil - 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Hing/Asafoetida : 1 pinch
1. Wash Sago/sabudana cleanly and keep it aside for an hour with very little amount of water in it ( a few sprinkles of water would be sufficient). After an hour the sago will be puffed up and separated
2. Take the sago in a bowl , add roasted peanut powder and salt to it. Mix gently with a spatula and keep it aside.
3. In a pan, put oil and the above mentioned tempering. Once they start to crackle, add curry leaves, green chillies chopped and potato pieces, pinch of turmeric and fry them till soft.
4. Now add the sago mixture and mix well. cover with a lid for 5 minutes . Give a final 2-3 mixes and all done.
5. Garnish with coriander and serve hot with spicy peanut chutney.