Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Pessarattu - Moong bean dosa

I love pessarattu, sply when served with ginger chutney. I always ask myself  who discovered this combo :)
I remember MLA pessarattu in Hyderabad is very famous, where they put upma as the stuffing. Never dared to tried though...but many say  even that tastes yumm...

I generally tend to make  this not only that these dosas are healthy...but as a matter of fact that these are easy..no fermentation required :)
I recently came to know that mung beans are one of the most cherished foods in Ayurveda because they do not create abdominal gas or bloating, infact it helps in our digestion process. Thats why they recommend to consume in the form of mung bean dosas as in pessarattu or khichidis, mixed with spices.

Here is a simple recipe that my Mom shared with me .....

Ingredients:
 Moong bean (whole green gram) - 1 cup
Rice- handful
Green chillies - 6
Ginger 1" - 3
Coriander - 1 sprig
Cumin/ jeera - 1 tsp

 Method :
 1.Take moong (whole) and add a handful rice and soak in water for 5-6 hrs.
 2.Grind to a fine paste by adding  green chillies, ginger pieces,coriander leaves.
 3.Add salt to taste, 1spoon of jeera and make dosas immediately.
(For this no fermentation is required)
Remaining batter can be stored in the fridge.

No comments: