Friday, January 28, 2011

Cauliflower Pickle - Andhra Style


Fresh cauliflower florets mixed with Indian spices and lime juice for the tangy -spicy taste.

 No wonder there are 100's of variations and varieties in pickles, Andhra pickles always taste spicy and lip smacking .

I first heard about cauliflower pickle in Hyderabad
When I made this pickle at home, Mahesh loved it extremely and finished one large bottle in just 1 week. Even today he insists me to do cauliflower pickle, when I say that I would try other pickle this time :)

The aroma of ginger- garlic enhances the taste of the pickle. Goes well with parathas and hot rice :)



This pickle was taught to me by my friend Kavita. Later we all gathered at one of my friends place at our apartment and made this pickle . We took step by step clicks, to publish in my blog.

 I told them I would be posting it pretty soon but I took very long time, as my other posts were in queue :(
So today its the Cauliflower pickle turn.

Ingredients: 
 Cauliflower - 1
 Red Chilli  powder - 1/2 cup
Salt - Little less than 1/2 cup
Garlic cloves - 8 - 10
Ginger 1 " - 4 -5
turmeric - 1 tsp
Lime - 1 (small - 2)

(To be roasted slightly and powdered)
 Mustard seeds - 2 Tbsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds - 1/2 tsp

For Seasoning:
Oil - 5 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tbsp
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Dried red chillies - 5 -6

Method:
1) Separate the florets  into small pieces , wash them properly and allow it to dry on a clean  napkin cloth and put them in a large  dry bowl.


2) Roast the above  mentioned ingredients (mustard, cumin and fenugreek seeds) and powder them. Grind ginger garlic to a coarse paste.

3) In a bowl mix all the dry ingredients. This helps to taste the mix and modify salt- chilli mixture according to your  taste.
4) Add this mix to the florets.

5) Finally prepare the tempering and allow it to cool for 5 minutes. Add this to the mixture , Squeeze lime juice and keep aside for a day.

6) The pickle leaves the juice and florets shrink a bit. Crispy, tangy and finger licking  pickel will be ready .
Transfer this in an air tight jar and refrigerate it. Stays for about 1-2 weeks.

7 comments:

Sangeetha Nambi said...

Pickle with cauliflower. Hmm.. Different Recipe. Happy to follow u :)

http://recipe-excavator.blogspot.com

Reva said...

This is lovely and new... looks so tasty... u have an award waiting for u in my blog..please do collect it . U deserve so much more dear....
Reva

aipi said...

Hey Dipika..long time, how you been..
Gald to see your post :)

Cauliflower pickle looks totally droolworthy..very nice recipe!

US Masala

Sangeetha Nambi said...

Collect ur stylish award in my blog space :)

Reshmi Mahesh said...

Oh this is new to me...will try it.

FunWidFud

divya said...

First time here ..loved ur blog and am glad following u.pickle loos very tempting...

kitchen queen said...

yummmmmmmmy and delicious pickle.